Free screening of ‘Science Fair’ Sunday followed by discussion with PMHS, PMS science research students

Free screening of Science Fair Sunday followed by discussion with PMHS, PMS science research students

Editor’s note: the following press release was provided by the Pelham School District.

The Pelham community is invited to attend a free screening of the film “Science Fair” at 7 p.m. on Sunday, January 27 at The Picture House Regional Film Center. The event, sponsored by the Pelham Education Foundation, will feature a post-screening panel discussion with PMHS and Pelham Middle School science research students.

Science Fair, a National Geographic film, follows nine high school students from around the globe as they navigate rivalries, setbacks and, of course, hormones, on their journey to compete at The International Science and Engineering Fair, at which 1,700 teens from 78 different countries compete to be named “Best in Fair.” The film, from Fusion and Much Media and directed by the DuPont Award-winning and Emmy-nominated documentary filmmaking team Cristina Costantini and Darren Foster, offers a front seat to the victories, defeats, and motivations of an incredible group of young men and women who are on a path to change their lives, and the world, through science.

The award-winning PMHS Science Research program is taught by Steven Beltecas and Joe DiBello and provides an opportunity for students to work with professional mentors as they conduct and report on their own unique research. PMHS students have routinely been awarded top honors at a variety of regional, national, and international competitions, including the International Science and Engineering Fair that is featured in the film. Two years ago, Pelham Middle School began offering science research opportunities to its students and already, two students have won at the prestigious Broadcom competition.

The panel discussion, to be moderated by Mr. Beltecas, offers students a chance to share with the community their perspective of preparing for and competing in science fairs similar to what is documented in the film. Prior to the screening, attendees will have the opportunity to see the students’ research exhibited in the The Picture House lobby.

“We are extremely thankful to the Pelham Education Foundation for their amazing support of our science research program and The Picture House for hosting this special event,” said Dr. Thomas Callahan, director of math and science for the Pelham Public Schools. “This is an outstanding opportunity to spotlight our students’ work and hear from them about their experience.”