PMHS’s Shulzhenko and Wies beat goal, raise $76,000 to fight leukemia and lymphoma

Sophia Shulzhenko (left) and Margot Wies at the LLS Student of Year Gala.

Sophia Shulzhenko and Margot Wies, both sophomores at Pelham Memorial High School, didn’t just hit their goal of raising $60,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They blew right past it, collecting a massive $76,000 and finishing as the second-ranked team in the charity’s seven-week Students of the Year fundraising campaign.

The campaign started February 7 and concluded at a gala reception at the Crowne Plaza in Stamford on March 28, according to a press release. “Sophia and Margot’s Survivors,” as they called their team, was the first to participate from Pelham. They were up against 16 other high school groups that collectively raised $340,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LSS).

Shulzhenko and Wies were recognized at the gala as the second place team for the Connecticut Westchester Hudson Valley chapter, the release said.

2019 LLS Student of the Year teams display total money raised.

LLS awarded the Pelham students the right to name a research grant because they were one of only two teams that raised more than $50,000.

“They have chosen to name the grant in memory of Candice Credi Brady (a dear friend of Sophia’s family), Alan Ostrow (Margot’s cousin) and in honor of Lymphoma survivor Karen White (Sophia’s mother), and Miles Horton, a brave five-year old boy from Montclair, New Jersey,” the release said. “Miles has been under treatment for leukemia and happily just returned to school after being out since the beginning of the school year.”

Shulzhenko and Wies said they wanted to “thank the incredible generosity of the Pelham community, particularly in the last days of the campaign, for helping them exceed their goal, and providing needed funds to find a cure for leukemia and lymphoma.”