Pelham Examiner

Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Undeniable chemistry between leads in ‘Long Shot’ makes it a rom-com to remember

“Long Shot”, follows a very simple, very familiar basic premise. At its core, it’s your average odd-couple romantic comedy. He’s kind of down on his luck, but he’s wild and outgoing, and she’s got her stuff together, but she’s forgotten how to have fun. Here, that recognizable story takes the form of a political campaign, with Charlize Theron as a presidential candidate hopeful, and Seth Rogen as a radical journalist brought on to help write her speeches. However, despite its familiarity, the wonderful chemistry between the two leads and the witty humor provide for zan overall comforting and heartwarming experience.

“Long Shot” follows Secretary of State Charlotte Field (Charlize Theron) and journalist Fred Flarsky (Seth Rogen). When Fred quits his job because of his paper being purchased by a larger media conglomerate, his successful friend Lance (O’Shea Jackson Jr.) brings him to a fundraiser for the WWF. As the night goes on, Fred recognizes Charlotte as the old babysitter he used to have a crush on in middle school. As they reconnect, Charlotte decides to bring him onto her campaign as a speechwriter. As they spend more time together, the two begin to bond, but the drastic difference in their social standing, and the stress and image-keeping of a political campaign are standing in their way of the relationship they want to pursue.

Without strong leads, it would be easy for this movie to be an absolute flop, but luckily Theron and Rogen are absolutely magnetic. The two of them are undeniably lovable and carry this movie throughout it’s 2:05 runtime. Rogen, while perhaps used to playing the role of the unexpected love-interest, is still so good at it. His comic timing is as superb as ever, and he fills each moment with this adorable, puppy-dog-like energy that is a joy to watch. Theron, who recently has been on a run of incredibly strong, all business characters (“Atomic Blonde”, “Fate of the Furious”), once again brings that familiar strength to the character, but also shows off a wonderful vulnerability. Together, the two of them are hilarious and sweet, and are a pleasure to watch.

This movie is also very funny, although some parts of the comedy may seem like very biased, sharp political commentary (which, admittedly, parts of it are). There is still enough fun situational humor to go around. To the movie’s credit, there is humor in almost every scene, until there isn’t. When the movie needs to ground itself to tell its story, it does, and it makes the build of the two characters’ romance feel all the more natural. In recent years, this feels like one of the most realistic retellings of the odd-couple falling in love story. These characters feel real, and so does their relationship

Admittedly, this movie could probably be condensed a little bit. Its runtime is over two hours, and the last 20 minutes or so do drag on a bit, which isn’t helped by the predictability of the ending. That’s not to say it’s bad – the ending is quite cheesy and corny, but in a comforting way. However, it could all be wrapped up just a little quicker, especially when you know exactly where it’s going to go.

If you’re looking for an adorable good time, go see “The Long Shot.” Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen are brilliant, and play incredibly off each other. Despite its length and its familiar story, “Long Shot” is a great time that leaves you with a smile on your face.

About the Writer
Sam Rodd, Entertainment Editor

Sam Rodd is a senior at Pelham Memorial High School and a lover of theater, music and movies. He spends most of his time rehearsing in musicals and plays....