MacColl steps down after volunteering as president of three PTAs over nine years

At+this+years+PMHS+graduation%2C+Brain+McColl+%28left%29%2C+sons+Eli+and+Jack+and+wife+Randi.++

At this year’s PMHS graduation, Brain McColl (left), sons Eli and Jack and wife Randi.

Few in Pelham can know more about the ins and outs of running a Parent Teacher Association than Brian MacColl. MacColl served as president of the PTA at three different schools—Colonial School, Pelham Middle School and Pelham Memorial High School—for a total of nine years.

His community involvement doesn’t end there. MacColl dedicated many hours to serving organizations such as Pelham Arts Center and the Citizens Nominating Committee. He served two years as a parent representative on the Site-Based Council before assuming the position as PTA president for each school.

As a father of two PMHS graduates, MacColl is passionate about helping the community. “I feel it’s important to contribute the best way possible to the community that is part of the fabric of your life,” said MacColl.

From his time at Colonial to PMHS, MacColl has seen changes in the ways PTAs communicate. “The work and overall mission of the organization has stayed true to the underlying premises over the years,” he said. “However, the way the message is being delivered has evolved with the help of social media.”

“The community as a whole is now better informed about this organization, which has generated greater interest and understanding of the work taking place,” said MacColl.

In June, MacColl finished his last PTA duties after his younger son Eli graduated from PMHS, stepping down as PMHS PTA president and member of the PTA executive committee. After completing those many years of service, MacColl is ready to hand the work off to others.

MacColl said he leaves the future of the PMHS PTA “to the great volunteers who have taken over…There are so many areas the organization can expand to that will benefit our teachers and students.”

During his time in the leadership of the PTAs, MacColl was involved in many notable events. He helped expand several programs at Colonial, including cultural events and lunchtime enrichment. At the middle school, MacColl worked with other PTA members to start both the Joe Longobardi Scholarship and the Pelham Chess Tournament, which has gained in popularity since its start.

MacColl also helped to bring Rachel’s Challenge to PMS. Rachel’s Challenge is an organization that works to reduce domestic violence and abuse.

On the PTA executive committee at the high school, MacColl focused his fundraising efforts on the Pelham House Tour, a program that allows Pelhamites to tour various houses in the town. The funds from the tour supported aspects of teacher and student enrichment.

“I’m proud of our Pelham PTA communities and all of the numerous parents and volunteers who have stepped up over the years,” he said. “Pelham is an amazing community and the best example of that is how all of the different organizations in town support each other in so many ways.”