Pelham Examiner

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Indivisible’s national leader joins PWP in canvassing for Thursday’s primary voting

National Indivisible co-executive founder Leah Greenberg with the PWP at Cafe Ammi on Sunday, Sept. 9.

A weekend of ceaseless rain and unseasonal cold did nothing to hinder the Progressive Women of Pelham in their charge towards the primary election finish line tomorrow. With a table at Wolf’s Walk on Saturday, canvassing in Pelham on Sunday and a rally for Cynthia Nixon and Jumaane Williams on the steps of Mt. Vernon City Hall on Monday, PWP continues to fight to get out the vote for their endorsed candidates.

The canvassing on Sunday was of particular note as Leah Greenberg, co-executive director of the national Indivisible organization, met PWP at Cafe Ammi for some rainy door-knocking.

Indivisible formed after the 2016 presidential election with the circulation of a document that served as a guide to grassroots resistance to the Trump agenda. The movement has now spread across the country in the form of thousands of local, volunteer-led groups, including Indivisible Westchester. These groups advocate for progressive values and hold the Democratic Party accountable for supporting those values at the local, state and national level.

Greenberg authored the original document as one of the co-founders of Indivisible, and serves as co-executive director with her husband, Ezra Levin. As a result of PWP’s efforts in working with Indivisible Westchester, Greenberg’s visit to Pelham was one of only four stops during her trip to the East Coast before the primary tomorrow.  

Greenberg wrote in the tweeted pictured above, “I’m here with the founders of ⁦@ProgWomenPelham⁩ who helped drive a 22-point swing in Pelham for the 2017 county executive race! They’re fired up and ready to do the same for ⁦@Biaggi4NY⁩ ⁦@CynthiaNixon⁩ ⁦@JumaaneWilliams⁩ ⁦@ZephyrTeachout⁩.”

The national Indivisible organization has endorsed Cynthia Nixon for New York State governor. In addition to Nixon, Greenberg canvassed with PWP, supporting Jumaane Williams for lieutenant governor, Alessandra Biaggi for state senator and Zephyr Teachout for attorney general.

Opinion Editor Violet Massie-Vereker has been a member of the Progressive Women of Pelham since January 2017. 

About the Writer
Violet Massie-Vereker, Opinion Editor

Violet Massie-Vereker is a senior at Pelham Memorial High School. Her experience in journalism includes writing for the News of Pelham for the past two years, serving as Youth Beat Senior Editor and photographer in 2018. In addition to reporting, Violet enjoys writing papers and poetry, and participates in a host of extra-curricular activities, including varsity track and field, Model United Nations and a cappella.