Pelham Examiner

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Pelham field hockey off to hot start with 8-1 record, scoring 5-plus goals in 4 games

After the season’s start was delayed several times by heat, Pelham’s varsity field hockey team has kept the heat turned up, launching a tremendous hot streak that still has no end in sight. The girls currently sit at an 8-1 record, with one of those wins in league play. 

The Pelicans were undefeated coming into this week, but were dealt their first loss of the season against league opponents Rye on Tuesday.

Both offense and defense seem to be firing on all cylinders so far. Of the nine games played, the team scored five or more goals on four different occasions. Pelham’s offence thus far is led by senior captains Madelyn Dunbar and Lucy Conway, with assistance from a great many other players, including fellow captain Jenna Letizia, as well as junior Morgan Orlando and sophomore Jane Dunbar.

On the other end of the field, Pelham is performing just as admirably. Senior goalie and captain Lindsay McNamara has managed to shut out opponents a shocking seven games out of nine total. Included in this number is a tough-fought Ursuline game, where she stopped six shots to help her offense, which only scored once.

The Pelicans have played two total games in league so far. The first was a 3-0 win against Byram Hills, and the second their loss to Rye. They look ahead in the quest for a League Championship to one more game against Byram, two against Harrison and one against their chief opponent, Rye.

Pelham field hockey is scheduled to play not one, but two Homecoming games this week. Tonight, at 6:30 p.m., they face off against league-opponent Harrison at Glover Field, and tomorrow, they take on Nyack at 4:15 at Glover. They look to stay hot as they battle their upcoming league games. 

About the Writer
Nick Lieggi, Sports Editor

Nick is a junior at Pelham Memorial High School. His journalism career began at the Pelham Examiner in sports writing. An award winning political essayist, Nick also is a member of his school’s forensic speech team and Model United Nations club and is the team statistician for PMHS’s track and field and baseball teams.