Pelham Examiner

Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Living in a small town is both a blessing and a curse. Many small towns face the problem of a popular sport overshadowing a less popular sport. This is a major issue in Pelham, specifically with girls soccer. Now I’m not saying the girls varsity soccer team is unpopular, but it’s not at the same level as the boys varsity hockey team, for example.

I’m in seventh grade which means, as I’m sure you know, that I can play modified sports. And it only makes sense that I play modified girls soccer since it’s one of my favorite sports. However, when I heard that the modified girls soccer team didn’t have enough jerseys for its thirty-six players, I didn’t feel very proud of that.

At first I didn’t think anything of it, but when I started talking to some of my friends, I learned that boys modified soccer had enough jerseys for their entire team. Not only did the boys team have enough jerseys with the same number of players as us, but every other modified team had jerseys for all of their teammates.

It seems like a very stereotypical, unimportant concern, but this is a real problem that many small towns face; where one team doesn’t get the same treatment the others do. Before I started writing about my interest in this topic, I decided to do a little research. I figured the athletic director handles all sports-related issues, so I set up a meeting with Mr. Luciana.

As I sat and listened during the meeting, I couldn’t help but think he was being evasive. “I try so hard to keep the girls and boys team equal,” Mr. Luciana said when I asked him if any other teams had received new jerseys or equipment.

At the end of the day, I still don’t know if we will have enough jerseys for our team. I think it is just as important for every team to be equal as it is for boys and girls to be equal. And maybe this isn’t directly a boys versus girls situation. But it’s definitely a girls soccer team versus modified sports situation.

About the Writer
Gabby Ahitow, News Editor

When I moved to Pelham, I got my first taste of being a reporter. My elementary school, Colonial, had a paper of its own. and I started writing as a reporter....

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Are modified sports teams really treated equally?”

1. Andy Lee on October 31st, 2018 9:51 am

I’m not sure if things have changed, but the boy’s modified lacrosse team had a jumble of old hand-me-down jerseys and self-provided different color shorts when my sons were on it two years ago.

2. Laura Caruso on November 1st, 2018 9:15 pm

Girls modified field hockey also did not have enough jerseys for the whole team. Some of them actually wore Pelham lacrosse jerseys instead. A little embarrassing when playing the other teams, who all had team jerseys for every player.

3. Marisa on November 2nd, 2018 9:00 am

It’s not your imagination. This issue extends all the way up to professional sports. Keep asking questions and respectfully requesting parity.

4. Mariss on November 2nd, 2018 9:05 am

5. Ben on November 3rd, 2018 11:21 am

The boys modified soccer team did not actually have enough jerseys

6. Pa Harvey on November 12th, 2018 6:33 pm

Not fair.
    Keep respectfully ask questions and you will get results.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Pelham Pelicans prepare to be ‘Freezin’ for a Reason’ at Saturday’s Polar Plunge

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

High School Diplomats: bringing together Japanese and American students

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Progressives are taking a page out of Trump’s book—and it’s a good thing

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Time to stand up for a free press; we’re not the enemy

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Democratic Party shifts left—but should it?

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

From Where I Stand

Reconciling infatuation with food and environmentalist ideals

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Calling all Pelhamites: banning plastic straws

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Indivisible’s national leader joins PWP in canvassing for Thursday’s primary voting

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

From Where I Stand

Migrant children detained in Westchester: break the bubble

• Are modified sports teams really treated equally?

Opinion

Policing the conversation about racism

Navigate Right
Are modified sports teams really treated equally?