BioBus brings mobile science lab to Siwanoy, allowing students to explore microscopic worlds

The BioBus brought a mobile science lab to Siwanoy School Nov. 8 and 9, teaching kids about microscopic worlds in a fun, inquiry-based and hands-on environment.

The bus came equipped with microscopes. Kids got to learn about many different kinds of science topics and study about them. Each class had a 45-minute period to board the BioBus and work with the biologists on board and make observations about the science they were studying.

The courses for each grade were selected by Principal Susan Gilbert and faculty members for each grade.  For example, the Kindergartners looked at skin, hair and clothes under the microscope. The fifth grade students observed tiny living things and little pieces of leaves from pond water under the scopes.

The lab sessions were fun for the kids, while also teaching them a lot about life in the microscopic world, which led to many observations from the students and questions answered by the two scientists who run the BioBus.

In the lab, kids were also able to learn things they could apply to the science they’re learning in class.

For more information about the BioBus, please visit the BioBus website at biobus.org.

Caroline Gammon is a reporter for the Siwanoy Spotlight, the student newspaper of Siwanoy School.