Rotary names Scholars of the Month program in honor of Marilyn Stiefvater; December scholars: Francesca Di Cristofano and Michael Salama

Left to right: Rotary Preident Lyn Roth-Jacobs, PMHS Principal Jeannine Clark, and December Scholars of the Month Francesca Di Cristofano and Michael Salama.

Rotary Club of the Pelhams named its Scholars of the Month Program in honor of the late Marilyn Stiefvater and recognized its December Scholars, PMHS seniors Francesca Di Cristofano and Michael Salama, at its meeting Wednesday, Dec. 5.

Ms. Stiefvater, who died on Oct. 30, 2018,  had been an active member of the local Rotary Club since 1989. She was the founder of Stiefvater Real Estate.

The newly named “Marilyn Stiefvater Scholarship Achievement Award” certificate will now be presented to Scholars of the Month who are honored during the school year for their academic achievements.

Francesca Di Cristofano is a member of the National Honor Society and the Science, English, Math and Social Studies honor societies. She has received major awards at science fairs in cellular and molecular biology and has been a summer intern at Albert Einstein College of Medicine for the past three years. She plays volleyball and coaches younger volleyball players. She is a founder, shareholder and managing editor of the Pelham Examiner, Inc. She was also a founding news editor of the Colonial Times, the first online student newspaper in the Pelham School District, as well as senior editor on the Youth Beat team of the News of Pelham. Her other extracurricular activities include Latin Club, Chemistry Club, Physics Club, Human Rights Club, Philosophy Club and Band.

Certificates for Scholars of the month.

Michael Salama is a member of the National Honor Society as well as the English, Spanish, Math, Science, Social Studies and Tri-M Music honor societies. He is a Commended Scholar in the National Merit program and an AP Scholar with Distinction. He is a member of the Forensic Speech Team, Science Olympiad, Political Debate Club and Spanish Club. He is co-producer of “The Lulus,” a YouTube channel featuring educational videos for young children which has 80 videos and 200,000 subscribers. He is varsity soccer captain and a member of the indoor and spring track teams. He is a member of the Band, Jazz Ensemble, Chorus and he taught himself the guitar. Michael is a founder, shareholder and contributing editor of the Pelham Examiner, Inc.

In addition to recognizing two PMHS Students as Scholars of the Month during the school year, Rotary Club of the Pelhams awards a $10,000 scholarship to a graduating PMHS senior annually. Funds for the scholarship are collected from donations by communtiy members and Rotarians. Tax deductible donations made payable to Pelham Rotary Charities Fund  with the memo “scholarship” may be mailed at any time of the year to Rotary, PO Bo 8073, Pelham, NY 10803.