PMHS star catcher Kevin Coleman receives Con Ed Scholar-Athlete Award

Editor’s note: This press release was provided by the Pelham School District.

PMHS senior Kevin Coleman, star catcher for the varsity baseball team was honored with the prestigious Con Edison Scholastic Sports Award for the week of April 3. In recognition of his award Coleman was recently interviewed on WHUD radio by Rich Leaf.

Listen to Coleman’s interview on the WHUD website.

Coleman, a captain on the team, has had an outstanding career for the Pelicans after joining the varsity as an 8th grader. He was named to two All-State Teams and recently became the program’s all-time leader in hits. A three-sport athlete, Coleman is also the all-time leading rusher for the PMHS football team and was a captain on the varsity basketball team.

“As a coaching staff we are extremely happy for Kevin to have been recognized for the prestigious Con Ed Scholar Athlete of the Week Award,” said Varsity Baseball Coach Brian Leighton. “We are proud of Kevin’s athletic accomplishments, but more importantly the young man that he has become. He is the standard for which young Pelham baseball players and other Pelham student-athletes should strive to become. Kevin is a team first, hard-working competitor who also possesses the highest character traits one could have as a student athlete. As coaches, we are privileged and truly thankful when we have the opportunity to stand side by side with student-athletes like Kevin Coleman.”

Coleman is also a member of the National Honor Society and the high school’s Do Something Club. He has worked as a camp counselor and given baseball lessons to youth players.

“Kevin is one of the most decorated athletes that we’ve ever had here in Pelham,” said Athletic Director Steve Luciana. “It’s rare to have an athlete who is so dynamic in just one sport, let alone three. More striking than his athletic accomplishments, however, is Kevin’s incredible leadership qualities and incredible character.”