Pelham Examiner

Filed under Showcase, Sports

PMHS cross country aims to match previous squads with strong showing into sectionals

After hours of training in the grueling August sun throughout preseason, Pelham’s cross country athletes are gearing up for challenging months competing at various meets throughout the fall. Members of the cross country team are prime examples of this community’s best student-athletes.  They prepared hard for hoped-for success during the season, which began with a meet held at Somers on Saturday.

Coach James Marcotullio pointed to key athletes on this year’s squad. “Seniors Henry Driesen and Charlie Miske will be the most dominant boys, but Lance Brady is an important part of the team,” he said. “The girls team will be lead by senior Grace Miske and junior Morgan Sample.”

Senior captains Driesen, Grace Miske and Charlie Miske and coaches Marcotullio and Michael Green will be leading a team with a legacy of success during past seasons, including setting the high standard by sending all runners to sectionals. Athletes have also earned honors such as All-County and All-League.

New underclassmen show promise, said Marcotullio, though he added their full potential can’t be proven until after a few meets.

Marcotullio said losing number three runner C.J. Laurentin, who moved to Connecticut, will change the dynamic of the team, though he still has high hopes for the squad and its ability to be competitive at its most important meet of the year, the League Championship.

As the season progresses, the cross country runners hope to further their success and the legacy of excellence in Pelham athletics.

About the Writer
Ella Stern, Politics Editor

Ella Stern is a rising senior at Pelham Memorial High School. She is a captain on the varsity track and field team, an avid member of several clubs, and...

1 Comment

One Response to “PMHS cross country aims to match previous squads with strong showing into sectionals”

1. Toby Marxuach-Gusciora on October 6th, 2018 10:24 pm

Some concerned Pelham Manor Citizens from the Democratic, Republican, and Independent party are going to the Trustee meeting on Sept 8 to try to find out where there new petition that was delivered to John Pierpont , village clerk on Oct 2, 2018 with verified signatures and numbered pages by Erica Winter stands. Will it be submitted to the county for a referendum to appear on the Nov ballot? Will over 500 Manor residents who signed the petition get to vote whether to change the village election from March to Nov .or will this petition be rejected?

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.